Mange is a persistent and contagious disease of the skin caused by a parasitic mite. They are common external parasites live in the dog’s skin or hair follicles. This kind of mite can dig through the skin leading mild to severe inflammation, itching, and loss of hair when they proliferate quickly. So what is the signs and symptoms and what are home remedies for mange?
Signs and Symptoms of Mange
The signs and symptoms of mange in dog depend on the type of mite which causes the disease.
It is a kind of mite that is oval in shape, light in color and microscopy size. It causes
- severe itching or even pain
- skin irritation and redness
- intense scratching
- hair loss
These symptoms normally occur 7- 10 days after exposure to another affected animal and are most severe in ears, face and elbows of hosts. When it transfers to human, it tends to cause red swells which are confused with mosquito bites.
This type of mange causes
- spots of hair loss
- mild to severe itching
- pain and discomfort
All dogs are exposed to this kind of mite by their mother when they cuddling and can live in harmony together. Demodectic mange is unable to transmit either affect the human being.
Can a Mange be Cured?
Mange is a treatable disease. When notice any mange’s signs or symptoms, you should first take your dog to a veterinarian for consults. Otherwise, there are amazing natural home remedies for mange that you can consider.
Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) and Borax solution
Hydrogen peroxide has natural disinfectant property, is applied for sterilization of several surfaces and against harmful microorganisms. While Borax is an anti – fungi, can be used as a component of cleaning product, hand soap, and tooth whitening. The solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and Borax is one of the most amazing natural home remedies for mange. It works as a disinfectant to clean the mite’s living environment.
How to apply?
- Add 2 cups of Hydrogen Peroxide, 3 teaspoons of Borax in a bowl of 1000 ml water, mix the mixture until it dissolves in water.
- Steep your pet’ skin with this solution for 2- 3 hours; then you can clean your pet’s skin with water again or not.
- Do this remedy 2- 3 times every week for 2- 3 months to make sure the risk of reinfection is reduced.
- Remember not to let your dog eat this mixture due to its harmful effects when eating.
Soak with Sulfur Soap (salicylic acid)
Sulfur soap also known as salicylic acid is an anti-bacteria that can kill and prevent them from reinfected. Sulfur soak is another effective home remedy for mange that can eliminate parasitic mites, so you should not ignore it.
How to apply?
- Wet your pet’s skin with water then use sulfur soak to rub the skin until it becomes foamy.
- Let it there for 1- 2 hours to facilitate the mite elimination, then clean the pet’s skin with water.
- Let your pet to shake itself then sun him or her until it dries.
- Do this remedy 2- 3 times per week in a few months or until you notice the change.
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been used for the disinfectant to kill pathogens include bacteria and fungi since long time ago. It can work well on killing parasitic mites that cause the disease.
How to apply?
- Make a solution by adding a glass of raw apple cider vinegar with 1 glass of water, then spill the mixture in a spray bottle. Wet the pet’s skin with it until it becomes saturated, let it dries by itself. Repeat this process 2- 3 times every week in a few weeks to get better results.
- Another way for you when using apple cider vinegar as a natural home remedy for mange is making a solution of a ½ glass of raw apple cider vinegar( about 100ml), ½ glass of Borax( 100ml) and ½ glass of lukewarm water( 100ml) in a large bowl. Use this mixture to rub all over your pet and let it dries itself. Do this process 2- 3 times per week for 2 months.
- In addition, you can add raw apple cider vinegar to your pet’s food to enhances him or her immune system and that will help to get rid of mange quickly. The amount is calculated by 5 gram for a pet up to 14 pounds (6.3 kg), 10 gram for a pet which weight is between 15 to 34 pounds, and so on.
You should remember that not to apply raw apple cider vinegar directly to your pet’s skin.
Honey has antibacterial and antifungal effects that it is used as a traditional antiseptic and help speed up the skin healing process quickly. It can also be used as a home remedy for mange.
How to apply?
- Scrape the affected area, then put some honey directly on it.
- Let it there for 2- 3 hours and clean the skin with warm water. Allow your pet to shake itself and sun him or her until it totally dries.
- Do this process 2 times daily in a few weeks.
Apply Vegetable Oil
The adhesive property of vegetable oil can restrict the air supply for parasitic mites in order to kill them. It also can work as a natural softening agent that will help remove the scabs, enhance the skin healing process, and reduce the discomfort. How to apply
- Scrape the affected area, then use a sponge to rub all over your pet with vegetable oil
- Allow it to dry itself for a few hours and clean it with lukewarm water.
- Do this process 2 times per week for a few months to notice a change.
Above is top 5 amazing natural home remedies for mange. No matter what way your choice is, follow up treatment should include skin scraping, isolating your pet to prevent the reinfection and spreading, and follow veterinarian’s orders.