Tennis elbow is a common injury that affects athletes such as tennis players and golfers most often, but it also can happen to any normal people at any time.
What Is Tennis Elbow?
This pain often focuses on the outside of the arm, especially near your forearm and around your elbow.
This area contains many muscles and tendons which is also related to your bones as well.
If you continuously use your arm in certain repetitive movements, this can cause pain in the tendons at the elbow.
Many studies have shown that up to 4% of the population was affected by this condition, particular adults in their 30s and over. But no more than 6% of cases are related to tennis players.
Common Causes Of Tennis Elbow
Repeating incorrect movements, again and again, is the main reason for tennis elbow. When you play tennis, your motion will be repeated many times to hit the ball.
Doing repetitive actions with poor technique can lead to serious complications, including tennis elbow. Bad technique will also create a movement on the wrist instead of elbow joint position and this can boost the pressure on tendon which is responsible for irritation.
Besides, there are a lot of other causes, including:
- Tree-cutting (by using scissors or chainsaw)
- Growing and cultivating plants
- Certain sporting activities (that include throwing or striking movements)
Sometimes, tennis elbow occurs without any reason.
Common Symptoms Of Tennis Elbow
Normally, the pain is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Discomfort and tenderness to touch
- More painful in training or lifting
Both arms can be affected.
Home Remedies for Tennis Elbow
So how to get rid of tennis elbow naturally and quickly? The following home remedies for tennis elbow may help you deal more effectively with this disease.
The science of icing for injuries has been studied for centuries. This is also known as one of the most effective methods to ease pain and swelling at the elbow. Using ice can help to slow down the progression of the condition. If you do not want to use ice, a frozen pea bag can be a good alternative choice.
- Wrap the ice pack in a clean towel
- Put this towel gently on your elbow
- Relax and wait for at least 12 – 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 – 4 times daily until you notice a difference.
Note: You must not place ice directly on the affected area
Turmeric is also well known for treating tennis elbow. It contains curcumin which can help fight off inflammation that is causing your unwanted pain in the elbow. Moreover, due to its high concentration of antioxidants, it also helps reduce tenderness and other symptoms of this disorder.
- To make turmeric tea, pour 2 – 3 teaspoons of turmeric powder into a cup of warm milk and stir it well.
Consume this mixture twice a day to get the best results.
Ginger is one of the most effective home remedies for tennis elbow which have been used so widely hundreds of years. Its strong anti-inflammatory properties can help get rid of tennis elbow quickly without any side effects.
- Boil 500ml water and then add 5 – 6 pieces of the fresh ginger root into it.
- Strain and set aside for 3 – 5 minutes
- Add a little honey or sugar (if desired) and stir it.
Drink this solution 2 – 3 times a day until you feel better.
This simple remedy is highly recommended for the elder who is suffering tennis elbow or different kinds of bone problems. Hundreds of studies have shown that the anti-inflammatory properties present in it can help ease pain and swelling. Plus, it will speed up muscle recovery.
- Grind 2 – 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds until it turns into a powder.
- Add ½ cup of milk to make a paste.
Plus this paste on the affected part and wait for 2 – 3 hours before washing it off with warm water.
Another good item that can be used to treat tennis elbow is garlic. Due to its high content of sulfur and selenium, garlic can help fight off inflammation and pain as well.
- The simplest way to apply this method is to consume three or more raw garlic cloves every single day.
- If you really hate this strong smell or taste, put the garlic into the food you are cooking instead of eating raw.
Many studies have shown that several chemicals present in a in comfrey leaves can improve our body’s powerful self-healing properties. Moreover, these leaves help relieve mild pain quickly and effectively.
- Soak these leaves in hot water to soften them
- Place the warm leaves on the affected area.
- Wrap a clean cloth around your elbow
- Leave it on overnight
Repeat this home remedy for tennis elbow until you notice a difference.
Consume Omega-3 Rich Foods
Due to its high concentration of the beneficial fats, foods high in Omega 3 fatty acids is also considered one of the most effective home treatments for tennis elbow. According to a 2003 study conducted in the United Kingdom, they are very effective at strengthening your muscles and bones as well. Plus, it also helps decrease inflammation and pain.
Some of the foods that are high in omega-3 fatty acids are:
- Wild rice
- Salmon Fish Oil
- White Fish
- Hemp Seeds
- Egg Yolks
- Alaskan Salmon
The components found in this essential oil are helpful for getting rid of tennis elbow. Moreover, its anti-inflammatory properties also can help speed up the recovery of sore muscles.
- Massage the affected area with this oil at least twice a day until you feel better or your symptoms disappear.